Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Metaphor Poem

flower seeds in snow

In February

the bones of flowers
dance above the snow
arms flung wide

little parasols
their silk long gone -
still a treasure

.....-Andromeda Jazmon


Miss Rumphius's poetry stretch this week asks for a metaphor poem. Over at Laura Salas's blog I've been reading the comments to her haiku post last Friday and thinking about the difference between images of direct experience and metaphoric images. Since the argument there is that haiku does not use poetic devices like metaphor let me be clear: this is not a haiku (or two haiku). It's just a short poem. Or two. :)

4 comments:

DaisyBug said...

I really like this. I am a sucker for metaphor though. Flower bones. Cool visual. Almost spooky - not quite.

I like it. :)

laurasalas said...

Love this image...the bones of flowers. Wonderful! Should it be tibia (or whatever an arm bone is) flung wide? ;>)

Carleen Brice said...

LOVE this poem! Thanks for sharing. I came over from the ringShout blog.

paisley said...

this was lovely.. i liked the decision to use bones as a metaphor for the dried flowers in winter,, and i am even more thrilled that you used "poetic devices like metaphor" in a haiku... rules my dear are made to be broken,, and you broke them so effortlessly that they add to the general beauty of the piece...