Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Poetry: February

by Margaret Atwood
comfy

Winter. Time to eat fat
and watch hockey. In the pewter mornings, the cat,
a black fur sausage with yellow
Houdini eyes, jumps up on the bed and tries
to get onto my head. It’s his
way of telling whether or not I’m dead.

...Read the rest here at the Poetry Foundation.

We've a snow day from school today - the first one this winter. I left the book I was going to review for poetry Friday at school so I went looking for snow poems. This one wasn't what I had in mind but it grabbed me anyway. My cat always wakes me up by breathing in my ear or chewing on the plants; things she knows annoy me. Her hunger is what gets me out of bed. Something about February requires an extra goading...

Friday Poetry round up is at Big A, little a today. Don't know how much poetry I'll be reading between putting snow suits on and off, but what fun we'll have!

8 comments:

Tricia said...

I wish we were where you are today. William's been wishing for snow all winter. We have a two hour delay today for freezing rain, but no snow. Alas, I think he'll miss that experience this year.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome,

I think your snow may be heading my way. We're supposed to get a storm later this morning.

That's quite a poem. I'm a cat lover. Fortunately, she doesn't breathe in my face--but she purrs so loudly she sometimes wakes my husband in the middle of the night.

TadMack said...

Oh, that's a funny phrase, "eat fat and watch hockey." It could almost be a curse!!!

Happy Snow Day, you lucky duck.

Sara said...

I forwarded this poem on to my sister, who gets woken by her cat every morning. It's superb Atwood, in my opinion--direct and brilliant and funny and leaves you thinking.

Mary Lee said...

This cat is a lot like ours! The breath...so true!

We've got a snow/ice day today, too! Huzzah for the small rewards of teaching!

jama said...

What a fine poem! And the perfect photo to go along with it. Thanks.

HipWriterMama said...

We had a snow storm yesterday, too. Hope you had fun playing in the snow!

Joy said...

Yeah to snow days! I wanted to ask if it's okay to have your wrung sponge on my blogroll? It's there right now- I should have asked you first. Sorry!

Joy
P.S. What about your other blog, the Wordpress one, not your photo one? I didn't know if I could add that one too? Let me know here or on my blog, if possible. Thanks!! :-)