Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sonnets: John Donne


BATTER my heart, three person'd God; for, you
As yet but knocke, breathe, shine, and seeke to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow mee,'and bend
Your force, to breake, blowe, burn and make me new.
I, like an usurpt towne, to'another due,
Labour to'admit you, but Oh, to no end,
Reason your viceroy in mee, mee should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weake or untrue.
Yet dearely'I love you,'and would be loved faine,
But am betroth'd unto your enemie:
Divorce mee,'untie, or breake that knot againe;
Take mee to you, imprison mee, for I
Except you'enthrall mee, never shall be free,
Nor ever chast, except you ravish mee.

Read a more modern rendition of this lovely sonnet here. This is one of the sonnets I remember leaving me breathless the first time I read it as a college freshman. It still brings me to my knees.

Read about
Sonnets, background on John Donne, and more works by Donne at these links.

Friday Poetry is over at The Book Mine Set. I'm posting early this week because I won't be at my desk on Friday.


TadMack said...

Ohhh, me too, me too. Batter My Heart was the title of some romantic tripe I read in high school, and I actually looked up the sonnet -- and was much more taken with that. This is lovely.

Mayhem said...

I have never, ever read that before, and it has left me with tears in my eyes.

laurasalas said...

Wow. Those opening four lines--whew!

John Mutford said...

Sorry this didn't show up in my original links. I'm not sure what happened. I know it's late, but I've remedied it now.