Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch - Macaronic Verse

wet leaf on slate walk

One reik
slick as oji
on wet parollie
sliding down the wikij
to rest in icy roumoue of
timckilick; quiet in the raff
afternoon leejik,
and woulle.
Poobif.

Miss Rumphius has me trying something new yet again. She says, "The Handbook of Poetic Forms defines macaronic verse in this fashion.
Macaronic verse is a peculiar, rare and often comic form of poetry that sometimes borders on nonsense. It is a mixture of two (or more) languages in a poem, in which the poet usually subjects one language to the grammatical laws of another to make people laugh."


I like the way this photo made me think of surface tension and texture. I wrote a free style poem and then changed all the nouns into made up words from a fantasy language. It's kind of fun - give it a try yourself and let us know what you come up with.

7 comments:

paisley said...

very clever... i enjoyed this exercise... i didn't make up a language tho,, i used english and spanish....

Sara said...

Mopoojihaffkah!! (Bravo)

You are just fearless. Love this. But now I want to hear you read it!!

Cloudscome said...

LOL I will have to learn how to do that from you Sara. Podcasting is a new one for me.

DaisyBug said...

See - wow. Just wow. How cool is that??

susan said...

Mad skills! It didn't matter that I didn't know the language. The construction and surrounding words drew me in and made sense emotionally.

Crafty Green Poet said...

stunning photo. I love your poem too, it works really well with the invented language.

sister AE said...

what daisybug said.
definitely!