Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cybil Short List Cento:

jan 15 010

Miss Rumphius Effect is giving us a fun challenge for the Monday Poetry Stretch this week. She says:
I was inspired by the titles of current and past winners and thought that together, they might make an interesting poem. So, let's try a modified cento this week. Using titles from your favorite books (or award winners, classics, etc.), create a poem.
I've taken the Cybil short list titles that caught my ear and made them into a poem. Mind you, these are not necessarily my favorite books. I haven't even read most of them. I just like the way the titles sound together. Here's my poem:

Short List

What we need is courage;
a leap of faith. Four feet among
two sandals isn't enough.

Apology and forgiveness may give us
a crooked kind of perfect but
it's still in black and white.

A princess or a robot
could dream for a thousand days of
good masters and sweet ladies
in the land of silver apples.

Write: This is
the absolutely true
diary of a part time Chicken.

Bill Standish was standing here.
He arrived.

We are healing and tracing
the wounds. She is telling the story
of getting here.

One thousand days later
and here's a little poem. Red glass is growing
inside this egg; Let's go.

**My challenge to you, dear readers: the first commenter to name all the authors of these books will win two free books from my stack of ARCs picked up at ALA Midwinter. I'll give you a choice from a list of authors. Ready, set, Go!


Tricia said...

What fun! I loved trying to figure out which titles you used (and the categories they came from).

Kerri said...

I have no idea....but i LOVE the shot of the TREE!!!

Wizards Wireless @ said...

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Billie Standish Was Here

Red Glass

Guess What is Growing Inside this Egg

Let's Go!: the Story of Getting from There to Here

One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II

The Arrival

The Courageous Princess

Robot Dreams

Book of a Thousand Days

The Land of the Silver Apples

The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County

Four Feet, Two Sandals

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!

Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry

Poems in Black and White

This is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness

A Crooked Kind of Perfect

Leap of Faith

I think I got them all.

Cloudscome said...

YAY Susan! Thank you for taking the time to figure that all out and write it up. Can anyone list all the authors?

M.F. Atkins said...

Sherman Alexie
Nancy Crocker
Laura Resau
Mia Posada
Lizann Flatt
Lita Judge
Shaun tan
Rod Espinosa
Sara Varon
Shannon Hale
Nancy Farmer
Janice Harrington
Karen Lynn Williams
Khadra Mohammad
Jane Yolen
Andrew Fusek Peters
Joyce Sidman
Kate Miller
Linda Urban
Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Did I get them all? Marcie (World of Words)

web said...

Very cool!