Thursday, December 13, 2007

Advent Fib

Trisha's poetry stretch this week is on the theme of seasonal poetry. She has a Fib up so I thought I would follow suit. I don't know about you but it seems to me this is the dreariest December I can ever remember. Day after day of cold gray rain falling on brown fields with no relief. The color is washed out of the world except for the holiday decorations gracing the night.

In our house we have an Advent wreath in the middle of the table that we put together at Sunday School at our church at the end of November. It is a wreath of greens with four candles stuck in the florist's foam. Each Sunday in the four weeks leading up to Christmas we light one more candle as we wait for the coming Savior. The anticipation builds as we add one more light week by week and read from the Bible words of promise. So many holidays in December celebrate in this way; gradually building light one flame at a time.... is it any wonder when we are so starved for a blaze of hope?

advent candles


A gray world
rises up in brown.
Light another candle sister;
gather round the table and hold hands singing Glory!

Go over to Miss Rumphius to read what poems others have written for the season.


Lilian said...

This is a dreary month so far. I hope we'll "brighten" your day on Saturday! :)

LindaBudz said...

for this,
and also
for visiting me,
and especially for bringing
your time and talents (and spices) to my humble stew.

My first introduction to Fibs ... interesting, and very, very cool.

P.S. I love Advent!

Cloudscome said...

Linda that rocks! Thanks for playing along with such a perfectly tuned fib.

Lilian it was a very bright and lovely day. Thanks!