Monday, November 26, 2007

Text to Text Connection

Yesterday we were driving home from church listening to NPR on the radio. Someone was telling a funny story about a chicken driving a truck - I can't remember exactly what it was about. I was thinking of something else at the time. Buddy, my five year old, was in the back seat listening carefully to the radio. He pips up,

"Chickens driving a truck? That sounds crazy. Chickens don't drive, do they mom?"

"No." I said absentmindedly. "Chickens don't drive. Don't let the pigeon drive the bus either."

After a few minutes of thoughtful silence he said,

"Yeah. And please don't let the pigeon stay up late."

6 comments:

TadMack said...

Oh, cute! It's always so fun when they get it!

I got my sister Click-Clack Moo: Cows That Type and for a long time she looked for news stories that had to do with cows. We never found any typists, sadly...

Jen Robinson said...

That's great. I love when kids connect books to real life. Or even when adults think of children's books in connection with real life events. I heard second hand that one of my friends brought up Scaredy Squirrel in some context while on a guys' 40th birthday trip to Vegas, and I thought that it was hilarious. I had bought him Scaredy Squirrel for his son.

jules said...

That's funny. What a great moment that must have been for you as a book-lover, too.

laura salas said...

Too cute. Love to hear that snappy exchange based on books, for a change, instead of movies or songs.

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing this story! How wonderful when the books we love are part of who we are, what we think and say, and where we find moments of shared joy!

HipWriterMama said...

Great story!