Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tree Quiz



For my garden tour today I have a tree ID question for you. Can anyone identify this tree? It is in my neighbor's yard and hangs over our fence. Here are the flowers in spring (May):

white flowering tree

And here are the berries that are on the tree now:

red and purple berries

red berry tree

They are in upright clusters. They start out green, turning red and then black and wrinkled. Punkin has picked all the ones on the lower branches (I don't think he ate any, dear God) but all along the upper branches standing straight up are these rows of berries.

The leaves are somewhat heart shaped and wrinkled. It's about 15 feet tall. I would love it if someone out there can tell me what it is.

Leave me a comment if you have a garden post to share this week and I will do the round up.

Edited to add: Check out Alkelda's Lilies and Sunflowers post for great pictures, including a goth sunflower!

14 comments:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Just off the top of my head, I'd say it was a raisin tree. Yeah, you hear that raisins come from grapes, but that's really just a ploy from the grape industry to hide the fact that they're making, uh... wine.

In truth, I've seen these kinds of plants, but I don't know. I'll forward the post to a gardener friend of mine and see if he knows.

Shelley said...

No garden post to share, but still willing to scoot over for some playtime, now that we're back from Meeting...

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Here's my post:

http://saintsandspinners.blogspot.com/2007/07/sunflowers-and-lilies.html

Charlotte said...

Hi Cloudscome,

It looks to me like it might be a Hawthorne tree (aka May tree), but that's just an educated guess.

Someday I will remember to "borrow" the digital camera from work and take pictures of my own garden....

Charlotte

HipWriterMama said...

I was first going to say it was some sort of hydrangea until I saw the berries. Hmmm. I'm stumped.

Perhaps if you brought the pictures to your local nursery?

annie said...

It's a lacecap hydrangea. I have one here in the garden here in Tokyo. Ours doesn't get enough sun so it rarely blooms. I don't remember having any berries, but it may be that it doesn't go through its normal cycle since it rarely blooms. that or the birds get the berries. Hydrangea season has just ended here.

Gentle Reader said...

I, too, was thinking hydrangea, but I've never seen one with berries (which doesn't mean they don't get berries, just that I haven't seen them). It's very pretty!

cloudscome said...

The flowers do look like hydrangea, but when I google that all the pictures I see don't have this kind of berries. Here's another picture of the way the berries stand straight up along the middle of the branches. It's not a Hawthorne either, based on the berries. Anymore ideas?

Kris said...

I'm going to keep my eyes here to see what you come up with! The flowers sure look like hydrangea, but I've never seen a hydrangea with berries. I worked for years in the nursery/landscape architecture fields and I'm stumped.

diana said...

It is a lacecap viburnum. In the snowball bush family.

cloudscome said...

Yes Diana! It is. I googled that and found a lot of information. Thanks!

diana said...

You are welcome! (and lucky to own one)

wholesale plants said...

There are many perennials that can add to the beauty of any place in a few months, if due care and attention is paid while choosing and growing them.

Bridget said...

This is Viburnum sieboldii Ironclad.
It grows in Central Park.