Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eight things about Harry Potter and Me

Caroline at Food for Thought tagged me with the 8 things meme. I have already done that meme and made up a new variation, so this time I am going to do it with Harry Potter. I have him on my mind this week!
  1. It takes me a long time to read these books. I mean at least a week. I don't know how other people with small children or busy lives can give up a whole night/24 hours to just read. If I did that it would take me a week to recover. Plus I like to stretch out the pleasure and excitement, especially for this last one with no more new HP books coming out. Maybe I'll take two weeks to read it...
  1. I have a mind like a sieve. 90% of what gets in goes right out the bottom. I need a cheat sheet on who all these characters are. I can't remember for five minutes who is a good guy and who is a bad guy in the Ministry of Magic. How do ten year olds keep it straight? If we had a comprehension quiz on these books I know all you intelligent librarian-types would do well but some of us would struggle. I don't think I can write a review of the book because it is too complicated for me. I am looking forward to reading everyone else's review so the books will make more sense to me.
  2. I was complaining to Buster about how when I look HP up on Wikipedia because I need all the spoilers I can get (see #2 above) it doesn't display well on my screen. The blue hyperlinks are all piled up on top of the rest of the text as if the screen resolution were wrong or the window too small. It is really hard to read. He said, "When is the last time you updated your browser?" Duh. Of course. I hate updating my browser. I use Firefox and the last time I updated on a PC at work it was totally screwed. On my Mac at home I decided not to take the chance. But I really need the HP references so I took the plunge and updated to Firefox 2.0. Guess what? It works great and now I have spell check for everything! One of my worst bugaboos is leaving comments on blogs where there is no spell check. I have to copy and paste from Word in order to be sure everything is spelled right. Now Firefox does it for me! YAY! Thanks J. K. Rolling!
  3. I found a great blog that summarized all the previous HP books for me. I don't have time to re-read them (it would take me all summer and I wouldn't get any new books read) but I need to get the main points back in my head. Goddess of Clarity did all six books in backwards order last week. I spent Saturday's blogging time reading them all and getting caught up before I let myself start reading Deathly Hallows. She did such a great job hitting all the important characters and details it is allowing me to make more sense of DH. Thanks to Alkelda for the link.
  4. I didn't pre-order Deathly Hallows as I have for the two previous books. I have been buying them all for Buster. He gets to read them first, which is fine by me because he does it all in one night and then I get to take my week to read. This time Buster found the version that was posted on the Internet last week and he stayed up all night reading it off his computer screen. He said it was great. He wasn't as eager to get the actual book in his hands as he has been in the past. I couldn't decided whether it would be more fun to get one delivered to my door or go to the store on Saturday. Since I couldn't make up my mind I didn't have a plan. Buster kindly offered to babysit the little boys on Saturday so I could go over to the bookstore by myself and pick up a copy. This is the biggest treat I have had in a long time.
  5. I had a gift card for the bookstore, given to me by one of my students, that I had been saving for something special. I was able to get the book and a chocolate bar and a cup of coffee all on the gift card. WooHoo! I felt like a million bucks. I sat in the bookstore coffee shop by myself like a grown up and read the first chapter. Eating chocolate and drinking coffee-shop coffee. This is the best part about the whole HP VII phenomena.
  6. I went to a book party for Order of the Phoenix when it came out. Buster was about 14 or so and he was my only child at the time. He was so excited about it I got caught up in it too. We thought it was a midnight party so we waited till 11:45 to go. When we got there we realized the party started at 10 and it was almost over. We missed all the fun stuff but we got a book. When we went home Buster stayed up all night reading it. For Half Blood Prince I ordered it and had it delivered. It came when Buster wasn't home and I waited for him to come home and stay up all night reading it before I cracked the cover. This time I didn't even consider going to the book parties. I was just happy to get the little boys in bed so I could get to sleep myself. LOL Buster got off work at 9 and he said the line to the bookstore was around the block and down the street. He didn't want to wait in line so he just came home. I guess we are both getting older.
  7. Last of all, I have to tell you something. I really don't like Hermione much. She is too prissy. I think the only reason Harry and Ron are her friends is that she is a walking encyclopedia and she always has the information they need to get out of a jam. She's like the secretary keeping the boss organized so he looks brilliant. In DH she is always bursting into tears. What's up with that?
I am not naming names for this meme because everyone who reads here has probably already been tagged with 8 things. If you haven't, then TAG you are IT. Leave me a comment with a link to your post of 8 things about Harry Potter (or yourself if you'd rather).

1 comment:

Monica Edinger said...

I"ve got way more than eight things about Harry Potter over at my blog educating alice ( You can see them by clicking on "Remembering Harry" or "Harry Potter" at the Tag Cloud on the right.