Saturday, July 21, 2007

Crossing Cultural Borders

I just found out via Charlotte's Library that Shen's Blog is doing a six week series on Crossing Cultural Borders. Each week between July 16 and August 20 a different theme will be addressed. Looks interesting!

This past week has been about American kids traveling to other lands or moving between two homes in two different countries. Emily is asking for suggestions of children's books where the characters live in two cultures. Anything come to mind?


Dawn said...

How about:
A Little Princess
The Silver Pencil
House of 100 Fathers (maybe?)
The Education of Little Tree (maybe again?)

That's all that springs to mind.

Stacy (my friends call me Stasia) Dillon said...

Lowji Discovers America
The Trouble Begins

Both have kids coming to the States, but are great explorations of cross culture existance.

Daphne Powell said...

Rumer Godden's Miss Happiness and Miss Flower was one of my favorites when I was a child. It's a wonderful story about a girl who comes to England from India. And it's in print, unlike many of Godden's children's books.

M.F. Atkins said...

How about:
When Africa was Home
Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins
The Flame Tree by Richard Lewis (YA, but I highly recommend it--about an MK in Indonesia)
Jakarta Missing by Jane Kurtz
The Stone Goddess by Minfong Ho
Jean Fritz has also written to autobiographies about growing up in China as an MK

If I think of others, I'll let you know. Since I grew up overseas, I love to read these types of books.

M.F. Atkins said...

Another one:
Something about America by Maria Testa (novel in verse)