Thursday, June 07, 2007

somewhere i have never traveled

pink rose.JPG

~e.e. cummings
somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skillfully, mysteriously) her first rose


Read the rest of this lovely poem here.

The Friday Poetry roundup is at HipWriterMama's today. Go leave a link to your poetry post and read all the others.


Alkelda the Gleeful said...

This is one of my favorites. I used to read my complete Cummings poetry book and mark favorites with little scraps of paper. It was the only way I could find the poems again without having to go through each page.

cloudscome said...

That's funny Alkelda. My copy of Complete Poems is stuffed with sticky notes on all my old favorites. I found my copy at a library book sale a long time ago when I was in college and I fell in love with cummings. To find this rose poem all I had to do was google cummings and rose. What a world!

eisha said...

This is one of my favorites, too. Such a romantic poem. And such a lovely photo to go with it!

NYC Teacher said...

I never read this until today. Thank you for introducing it to me. Might be perfect for my wedding program. 8:-)