Monday, June 18, 2007

Personal Policies Meme

I got tagged for this meme by LiteracyTeacher. She got it from HipWriterMama, who got it from the Simple and the Ordinary. It is so inspiring to read what everyone considers their important personal policies. After thinking about it I realized that it is really these values that shape my days and over the long term direct my life. I enjoyed thinking about and trying to narrow it down to the most important things.
  1. Early to bed and early to rise. I am strict about my kid's bedtimes. I always start putting them to bed around 6:30 or 7 pm. I get up around 5 am, even on weekends. I can only do my reading, writing and blogging when they are asleep so getting them to bed early and getting myself up early is really important to me. Fortunately since I have been a mother I have enjoyed being up early. I love the quiet and peace of the dawn hour.
  2. Devotions every day. I struggled to get in the habit of reading my Bible every day for years. About 12 years ago I had a really difficult school year where I was so challenged with my class of first graders I wanted to quit. I started dedicating myself to getting up early and praying for half an hour at the start of every day just to get the strength to go to work. The habit stuck and I relish it. Now that it is summer I take my coffee and my Bible out and sit in my porch swing. I read, listen and talk with God. It's delightful.
  3. Read to my kids every day. Always a couple of bedtime stories, one of which is a Bible story, but also through out the day when they need a few minutes of down time or I am waiting for something to finish cooking. If I sit down they go get a book and climb up in my lap.
  4. Keep a Beginner's Mind. I need to always be learning something new, developing a skill, exploring a new hobby or studying. I love being a "newbie". It is invigorating to let go of performance expectations and fly my ignorance in the interest of discovery. Serendipity gives me a buzz.
  5. Get Outdoors every day. I need to see the sky and be surrounded by green growing things. Even if the weather is bad I want to be out in it a little every day. I learned from Dr. Spock that it's good for the kids too.
I want to tag some of the new-to-me blogs I have been reading: food for thought, the whole self, My American Melting Pot, and luckybeans. And you if you want to play!

4 comments:

caroline said...

I like this meme and will be happy to play, though I want to give it some thought first... I'll keep you posted!

Alethea Eason said...

I love the pictures in your blog. Last weekend I went to a wonderful inn (Howard Creek Ranch) on the Mendocino Coast and your haiku brought me right back to that lovely setting. For this post, your list of personal policies, I want to say that I feel inspired. I'm doing Course in Miracles very very slowly and this made me want to be sure I push myself along, as well as have time to read Morning or Evening prayer everyday in the Book of Common Prayer, along with the passages on the lectionary. (I'm Episcopalian.) When I do this, I feel centered. By the way, I love the name of your blog, too!

cloudscome said...

Thanks Alethea. That sounds really good. I am Episcopalian too.

A Special Family said...

This is a great post! I am a huge believer in early to bed for kids - have you heard of the book Sleepless in America - so many kids problems are caused by sleep deprivation!! I know of many 3 and 4 year olds who go to bed at 10pm and do 10 hour days at daycare. Exhausting for them!