Friday, June 15, 2007

Ode to a Rag Doll

old buddy.JPG

You were first
drawn from the scrap bag
and mother’s wit.
She gave you brown
skin soft as peach fuzz.
Your tender fat fists
were sweet as figs.
Your belly was
round and plump
as a ripe plum.
Your hair was frizzed
yarn opened with a
darning needle;
a dark and lovely
halo. It is wild
as a tree full of starlings.
You held me
when all the world rocked.
Thunder on distant streets
crashed around us but
you still smiled.
Your familiar scent is
the sweetest rose.
I mourned your time
in the washer and dryer.
You are my
Home Sweet Home.
Today your fabric dissolved.
One leg fell off
and tattered threads hang down.
Your stuffing is scattered
like snow in January.
My little brother did it.
He flung you down the stairs.
Rag doll.
Still to sleep
I must curl around
your memory.
Rocking you is
Rocking me.

-Andromeda Jazmon
June 14, 2007

I wrote this Ode in the manner of Pablo Nerunda (more about Nerunda here) after studying poetic forms with Nancie Atwell's book Lessons that Change Writers. I haven't written very many Odes since college so it was an interesting stretch for me. It is in memoriam to Buddy Boy, my son's rag doll. I made the first Buddy Boy rag doll 16 years ago for Buster and he was handed down to my second son (called Buddy on this blog). The other day he fell apart. RIP Buddy Boy. We loved you well.

The round up is over at The Simple and the Ordinary today. Go leave a link to your poetry post or just read what everyone else is sharing today. TGIPF!

5 comments:

Poetry said...

14 June 2007



Of Fly Catchers and hidden lakes.


Of sleeping lizards and morning dew.

It is of birdsong and misty dawns

and fleeced clouds floating in a still pool.


The waters ripple awake in the gathering morn.





The first water birds head out for the far shore.

Sarah Amick said...

Oh, I love this Ode to a Rag Doll. I always wonder why people are so eager for their children to "give up" their treasures? They become like a member of the family. We have a rag doll with long yarn hair. Here is our song:
Dolly with the long yarn hair (repeat)
I don't care what you wear, cause your the dolly with the long yarn hair!
(sung only with the country accent!)

Karen E. said...

A lovely story and a lovely ode.

Liz in Ink said...

Rocking you is rocking me...
So sweet and funny and totally sensual, this one...

Kohana said...

So did you write this? It tells so much. I really enjoyed reading it.