Thursday, June 21, 2007

How to Be an Anti-Racist Parent:

Real-Life Parents Share Real-Life Tips

There is a new e-book just out, edited and published by Carmen Van Kerckhove of Anti-Racist Parent blog and New Demographic, an anti-racism training company. She has collected great contributions from many of the ARP columnists dedicated to combating racism. It's full of helpful and encouraging tips.

Unfortunately, I hate the piece I contributed. Everyone else shared positive ideas about raising children in healthy ways. I told a humiliating and long-winded story about a time I blurted out a really ignorant, racist comment and Buster called me on it. I am burning with shame right now thinking of the whole world reading about it. Why didn't I share something uplifting and hopeful instead of showing what an idiot I am? My piece is also the longest, with too much back-story. And I'm the only one that didn't use my real name in the credits. An odd mixture; I totally revealed my stupidity while refusing to tell my name. sheesh.

But if you want to read everyone else' great tips, go download it here.


Susan said...

Cloudscome, I think your piece is just fine--it's honest and shows how you learned something. Two thumbs up from me.

Tricia said...

I read it too, and I think you're brave for sharing. We ALL make these mistakes. Hopefully, we learn from them. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

Ok, I haven't read it (yet), but let me just say that I often learn the most from people who are willing to let the world see them in their less than proud moments. It makes me realize that it is all about learning, not the already knowing, and makes me far less intimidated to try!

Mayhem said...

Hmmm, sounds like you being a little hard on yourself, don't you think? I bet they wouldn't have used it if it was as horrible as you say!

cloudscome said...

Thanks guys. After I wrote this I thought it sounded really whiney and pitiful. I don't want to be begging for reassurance. I just feel embarrassed and I do think my contribution is different from what everyone else wrote. I hope it does encourage someone else, even if it makes me feel foolish.

Carmen said...

Hey cloudscome, thanks so much for helping me get the word out about this e-book!

And I LOVED your contribution. I think it shows such an important aspect of being an anti-racist parent: that you won't have all the answers, that you need to work on yourself constantly, even if it means feeling embarrassed, ashamed, regretful, or any other mess of emotions.

So thank you for sharing this story, and thank you for being such an amazing voice on Anti-Racist Parent!

Jen Barney said...

Your piece was honest and true. I tell my students that when we show all of who we are and how much we have grown as individuals we truly learn about ourselves in this world! THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

HipWriterMama said...

I agree with Susan. I really liked your article. It shows an eye opening Aha! moment that other people will be able to identify with.

And if you'd like a chance to show your favorite post...stop by and add your link to Mr. Linky.

Have a great weekend!

cloudscome said...

Thank you all again. I guess when I sent the piece in I was thinking I was brave enough to share my stumbling and learning. Then when I saw my words in print I realized again how ugly they were and I am ashamed I would think or say such a thing. But it's true I grew from the experience and I hope I shed some of my racism then and again in revealing it. I am so glad to know all of you and be connected to great anti-racist folks!