Saturday, May 12, 2007

books with salt and pepper

I am particularly interested in books that involve Black, Asian, Native American and Hispanic kids as well as White kids. I have been trying to think of a way to say in the header that this blog is mostly about books by, about, or including people of color. That is a mouthful of a phrase but I couldn't figure out how to reduce it and mean the same thing. I don't particularly like the terms "multicultural" or "diversity".

When I was growing up I remember hearing the term "salt and pepper" as meaning a mixed family or group. Salt is white and pepper comes in a lot of shades of brown and black. That's the kind of books I am reading and writing about here so I think it is a good description. What do you think? Does it give you the picture of my kind of books?

1 comment:

Don Tate II said...

I'm not sure that 'salt and pepper' works for me. It's a metaphor that leads me away from books altogether. I wish there were a simple, non-political correct way to say it, but I don't think so. I like the term 'multicultural' because it's all inclusive.