Saturday, April 14, 2007

Poetry Email from a friend

dandilion.JPG

For those of you who may not know it, this week is the celebration of Yom Hashoah, honoring the victims (Black, Gay, Handicapped, Jewish) of the Holocaust. It falls on Sunday and many churches of varied faiths are honoring this holiday as a part of their services. Traditionally, the following poem is read as the 6 candles (for the 6 million who died) are lit.


The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun's tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly 'way up high.
It went away I'm sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.For seven weeks I've lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here, in the ghetto.

Pavel Friedman, April 6, 1942

Born in Prague on January 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on September 29, 1944.

1 comment:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

This one gets me every time.