Tuesday, April 24, 2007

No TV Day One

Well yesterday was tough but we did it. Buddy watched TV at the hospital (many hours of it). He did fine before the tonsillectomy and appendectomy surgery. He was quite distressed when he woke up but we got through that part and stabilized. He drank and ate what they wanted him to eat and they sent us home. He had a rough night and is miserable today. My mom is taking care of him. I wish I was home with him but she is the next best thing.

In the afternoon and evening we did not watch TV. Punkin was quite upset about that. He cried and fussed and begged for a video. That just strengthened my resolve. I do not want to end up with boys who are constantly plugged into one screen or another. A little TV or video is fine but I don't want them addicted. We spent time playing outside, coloring, rocking together and reading books. Buddy was running a low fever and really unhappy when the codeine wore off so there was extra stress on all of us. Punkin knew something wasn't right and he seemed to absorb anxiety from us. I think today and tomorrow might be difficult but it will get easier the rest of the week.

There is a great book I read a couple of years ago about TV and children and how to manage it in a family. I can't remember the title or author. Has anyone else read good books on the subject?

It is not too late to join in, BTW. You don't have to go completely cold turkey. You could just turn if off for one day, or even just cut down on your regular viewing time and see a positive benefit. What if you got together with your kids or your spouse and did something fun instead of watching a show or two? Go for a walk, play a board game, cook together. Your kids might squawk at the thought of losing TV but they might also be happy to get a little extra attention from you. Or, if it's just you, you could do something special and nice for yourself that was IRL - take a long bubble bath, plant some pansies, give yourself a facial or pedicare... If you don't want to turn it off, just start thinking and noticing yourself watching. What do you get out of it? What are the positives and negatives? What role or purpose does TV serve in your life?

I would like to post a little more about TV all week. I invite you to join the conversation here and tell me about how it is in your life and your family. What do you think is good about TV? What concerns you about it? How much to you watch and why?

More links:
How TV Affects Your Child
Breaking Out of the Box
Ten Financial Reasons
Why TV Makes you Fat


art-sweet said...

I'm glad Buddy got through the surgery okay - that must be a load off your mind!

MotherReader said...

No TV with a sick kid? That's totally brave or totally crazy. Good luck. Hope the kid's feeling better.

Mary Lee said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this. I think the societal pressures would be SO hard for a parent to try to push back against. (I don't have kids.) You'll be glad in the end, I think. A psychologist friend gave me a link to some study or another (lost now, sorry) that showed that kids who have a TV in their room have lower test scores.

amy said...

The tv stays off, most of the time, in my home, too. The book I remember reading quite a while back on the topic was The Sheltering of Each Other, by Mary Pipher.