Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday Link Love

I have been posting a lot of haiku for April's National Poetry Month. I am afraid I am behind in my kidlit blog reading and furiously trying to catch up since it's Monday and I am back at my desk. Here are a few interesting things I've read:
  • Frankie at A Year of Reading has an article at Choice Literacy on broadening the choices for beginning readers beyond leveled books. I am going to bring some of these home for Buddy. He has a couple books at home that he can read independently and these sound just right for him.
  • I heard on the radio about the National Wildlife Fund's Green Hour program. So many kids today spend almost no time at all in unstructured play and very little time outdoors. I want my kids to have the benefits of both so I am down with an hour a day outside messing around. What do you think about that?
  • Miss Rumphius Effect talks about climbing trees. That's one of my favorite things to do!
  • One of my teachers has been asking me to help her find YA books for her summer reading list for seventh and eight graders. She wanted diversity and she wanted to avoid stereotypes. Then she said they have to be clean too. I just heard about this new blog called Clean Reads from reading Tea Cozy's blog. There is a great link list in the sidebar with more clean book lists. Looks bubblicious!
  • Julius Lester, at A Commonplace Book, is asking what books changed your life. He's publishing submitted short essays in a series. Fascinating! I also love his writings and his photographs.

That's it for now. I've only gotten half way down my blogroll though, so I might have more to say later....

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks so much for the Clean Reads link love. :)