Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Making a List

I have been toying with the idea of making book lists for the past six months or so. I thought about:
  • Making lists in blog posts and linking them in my sidebar; but if it is just a plain list with no links that seems boring to me.
  • I would want to have links to Amazon or somewhere so you could read reviews and see book covers, and I don't feel totally comfortable linking a big chain bookstore.
  • I thought about making a list at Amazon and linking that - I have explored other peoples listmania lists and experimented with that. I just don't like feeling like I am selling for them.
  • I thought about using LibraryThing to make a list by tags. I am not good about being consistent and thorough in my tags. I just spent about an hour editing tags to match "board books" with "board book" and "primary" with "primary grades". Tags are always a work in progress with me.
  • The other thing about LibraryThing is that not all my books are in there and not all the books in my list are actually owned by me. Most of the ones I borrowed from the library and loved enough to want to include are tagged "wishlist", but not all.
  • Of the books I actually own, I have only LibraryThing cataloged the ones I want to discuss or recommend. Mostly they are by, about or illustrating people of color, are kids' books, or deal with education, adoption or parenting.

Anyway, if you go to my library on LibraryThing and click on some of my tags you will see a list of toddler books, picture books, multicultural books, African American, etc. You can also see who else has those books, read some reviews and find links to the books at book sellers or WorldCat (which shows you which local libraries near you have the book). I would really appreciate it if you would look that over and tell me if you find it helpful or useful. Also, if there are books you would recommend leave me a comment and I will add them to my wish list. I am always looking for more really excellent kids books by, about and illustrating people of color. What are your favorites? Do you have a list or a link to a website that has a good list?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Have you checked out this book site? It has a lot of book resources.