Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kiri Davis

I saw this news on this woman's work and Racialicious. Kiri Davis, who made the short film A Girl Like Me, is up for a scholarship at CosmoGirl. I blogged about the film before. This is what I said that time:
I read about this film at Light-skinned girl's blog and watched it the other day. Back before Brown Vs. the Board of Education Dr. Kenneth Clark conducted a study to see what children would say about dolls with brown and black skin compared to dolls with pinkish, peach skin. I read about this study 25 years ago when I was in college, as I am sure many of you did. Kiri Davis, a high school student, decided to try to repeat the same study last year for a film project she was working on. The children in her study show that the messages about beauty, goodness and white skin vs. badness, ugliness and black skin are still being absorbed by today's small children.
Head on over there and watch the film and vote. She did such a great job on that film. Wouldn't it be great if she won a scholarship? This morning she is in third place. Your vote counts!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I hope she wins. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lilian said...

Clouds, today she's SECOND!! Did you know that each person can vote once everyday? We have to spread the word!!