Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Girl Like Me

Kiri Davis is in second place now! Did you know you can vote once a day, every day? Go over there and see her film A Girl Like Me and vote or vote again! She is up for a scholarship from CosmoGirl. Spread the word - she is talented and smart and made an amazing film.

I blogged about Kiri Davis before; she made a film showing how young children are sensitized to good/bad images of race. She repeated the Clark doll study from the 60s to see if young children would prefer white baby dolls over dark skinned ones. Sure enough, white and black kids said the white dolls were more beautiful, better and smarter than the black dolls. It is heartbreaking to watch this film. We need to work on this people!

3 comments:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

When I was growing up, I had one black baby doll. One. I think the problem was not so much that there were fewer black dolls than white dolls (there were) but that manufacturers took less care with black dolls. For a number of reasons, my mom didn't let me have Barbie dolls, but I think she would have relented had she known about the gorgeous international Barbie dolls.

I am quite interested in how children relate to their dollies. I will check out Kiri Davis' film. Thanks for the rec!

MotherReader said...

That segment of the film made me teary, honestly teary. As the aunt to a bi-racial girl, I worry about her life experience when I see such things. It is an important film, and I hope it gets the attention that it deserves.

bookbk said...

That film blew me away when I first saw it a few months ago. I voted a couple days ago but now will go vote again!