Friday, April 27, 2007

The Earth Is Painted Green

A Garden of Poems About Our Planet, edited by Barbara Brenner, illustrated by S.D. Schindler. Scholastic, Inc., 1994.

I bought this book when I was teaching first grade and my oldest son was in first grade. I absolutely love it. The poems in this collection are full of wonder and glory, praise and celebration, silence and song. It is divided into sections: Earth Green, First Green, Tree Green, and Planting Green, Growing Green, Summer Green, Harvest Green, Last Green, Forever Green. Guess what my favorite color is? Ha Ha! This is MY book!

Many of my favorite poets are included: X.J. Kennedy, Ryoto, Harold Henderson, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Robert Newton Peck, Charlotte Zolotow, Valerie Worth, David McCord, Margaret Wise Brown, Mary Ann Hoberman, Myra Cohn Livingston, Onitsura, Sanpu, (haiku, of course), Edward Bliss Reed, the list goes on.

I had a difficult time choosing only one poem to include here for you. You really ought to find this book and gather some young ones about you and read it all this weekend. Especially if it rains by you, as it is here for me. Rain on the roof is the perfect background music for these green gems...

To Look at Any Thing

To look at any thing,

If you would know that thing,

You must look at it long:

To look at this green and say

"I have seen spring in these

Woods," will not do - you must

Be the thing you see:

You must be the dark snakes of

Stems and ferny plumes of leaves,

You must enter in

To the small silences between

The leaves,

You must take your time

and touch the very peace

They issue from.

-John Moffitt


eisha said...

Oh, I LIKE that one! Very lovely indeed. Thanks for sharing it, and for hosting the round-up.

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Very peaceful.