Friday, April 06, 2007

An April Poem

wall, cherry blossoms

My birthday is this weekend, so I am going to tell you my favorite April poem.

It's Ogden Nash's Always Marry an April Girl.
My favorite lines say:

April golden, April cloudy,
Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;


I found this poem when I was in about eighth grade and I thought it was all about me. April is a confusing mix of weather; yesterday the cherry blossoms were ready to open and the sun was shining but the wind cut like a knife. Suddenly the sky clouded over and ten minutes later the air was full of snow flurries. Then we had sun again, and then more snow. That's how I felt at 13. It was very affirming to see that temperament admired and celebrated in a poem.

Read the full poem here.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Happy almost birthday! You aries people are kee-razy!!!

Jen Robinson said...

Happy Birthday weekend! Enjoy!

Heather said...

Happy birthday and happy Easter!

Brockeim said...

While your birthday is long gone past, on the path to a new one, happy birthday.

"Always Marry an April Girl" is a favorite poem of mine by Ogden Nash, and should be remembered more by more people. After all, aren't 1/24 of all people April girls?