Monday, April 30, 2007

April 30 Haiku

blossoms 5.JPG

The scent of lilacs -
sweaters, bookbags abandoned.
Sun shines on pale skin.

I was making a list of happy things for the end of April and someone mentioned the scent of lilacs. Mmmmm yes! They are one of my favorite flowers. I have loved them since I was a kid. When I lived in the far north of China there was a huge hedge of lilacs directly outside my window. They bloomed near the end of May. I finally have lilacs in my own yard and they are in bloom today, April 30.

Here they are on March 24:

lilac buds.JPG

What a lovely end to a month of daily haiku! Click on a picture to see a slide show on Flickr of their changes over the last month.

4 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome,

I love the scent of lilacs, too. We had lilac bushes in our yard when I was growing up. My maternal grandparents had a bunch of lilac bushes lining their driveway and some in their backyard. I've been thinking of planting some in my yard. I really miss the sight and smell of them at this time of year.
Love your photo!

Mother of Invention said...

I didn't know there were lilacs in North China! Here, in Ontario, Canada, the leaves are JUST starting to come out and the flowers won't until end of May. Our yard is full of them..about 6 of them! You smell them as soon as you open the back door. I have photos on last May or June's posts, but I'll probably not resist posting this year's! Ours are mostly white and smell just as good!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the scent of lilacs, so wonderful!

Mary Lee said...

MMMmmm...I can just smell those lilacs! They're not blooming here yet.

Such rich color in this photo. I think you're right -- you've got the close focus thing down pat!