Sunday, April 29, 2007

April 29 Haiku


Watching them eat,
listening to their chatter -
sunshine and birdsong.

This is the best loaf of bread I have ever made. It is gluten free, which means I couldn't use wheat flour. It has taken me about three years to learn to make bread with alternate flours so I can digest it well. A lot of my loaves haven't turned out very well. It is the gluten in traditional wheat flour that makes bread have it's characteristic rise and texture. This loaf turned out so well and I was delighted with my sandwich yesterday! This morning I am having toast - what joy!

The haiku is about the feeling I have when I have cooked for my boys. I love to sit back and watch them eat. Do you do that with the people you love? It is so satisfying just listening to them tell stories or chatter about whatever is on their minds. Eating dinner together is a daily sacrament - the recognition and celebration of the holy in our common everyday lives. What a blessing to share it!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Good Morning clousdcome!
Meals are my favorite time of day. My new house has bar that my son and husband sit at while I cook, so we all get to talk about the day. I love meal times alone with William too, as he will spend a great deal of time talking about whatever is on his mind.
On another note, a while back I heard a story about a bakery in NYC that is gluten-free, sugar-free, etc. The link to the web site is:
Too bad they don't have any recipes for you to try.