Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What would you suggest?

I have a teacher here making up a summer reading list for her seventh and eight grade students. She is asking me for book suggestions where there is diversity that is not stereotypical; we have enough of the pregnant basketball playing teenagers living in single parent families in the ghetto, thank you. Oh, yeah and they have to be new books. These kids have read all the books we already have here. My YA reading is woefully behind. Can anyone jump in here and help me out?

4 comments:

Susan said...

Mitali Perkin's "Monsoon Summer" would be great for such a list! "Estrella's Quinceanera" would be good, too.

Vox said...

I second Estrella's Quinceanera and also suggest Sister Chicas and Nothing But the Truth (and a few white lies). I read both recently, and they were great. More geared toward girls, though; I don't know what's really out there for guys.

Liz said...

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the YA category, but I think it's great that you're trying to find books outside of the stereotypical.

Leslie said...

Mitali Perkins also has a great book list on her website that highlights kids between cultures.