Monday, March 05, 2007

My Important Books

I got this Meme from Big A, Little a:
Tricia over at The Miss Rumphius Effect has created a new book meme. It's a hard one too! Here are the questions:
1. What are your 5 most important books?
2. What is an important book you admit you haven't read?
3. What classic (or childhood favorite) was a little disappointing on rereading?
4. What book do you (or did you) care most about sharing with your kids?
5. Name an acclaimed book, either classic or contemporary, that you just don't like.

I am going to have to work hard to answer these!

5 Most Important books:
1. The Bible. I’ve been reading it all my life. My senses of language, story and poetry are formed by it; it guides my life.
2. Annie Dillard’s The Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. She woke me up and validated my perception of the physical world.
3. The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings. I am counting the whole saga as one book. It’s all burned in my brain.
4. Haiku by R. H. Blythe. This two volume set taught me the craft.
5. Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach. This one balanced out my mother’s highly recommended Dr. Spock and let me relax and trust my parenting instincts.

An Important book I haven’t read: War and Peace

Disappointing childhood classic: The Indian in the Cupboard

The book I care most about sharing with my kids: Winnie the Pooh and The Wind in the Willows (can’t limit myself to just one)

An Acclaimed book I don’t like: Moby Dick.

What about you? Think you can answer these questions?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Great responses, cloudscome!

Wind in the Willows is the same as Winnie-the-Pooh. Both complex for their target audience, and books that should be read aloud.

Being Me said...

While I've always loved Pooh & co. I never got Wind in the Willows. I put it with Moby Dick.

I did love Frog and Toad though.