Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Whoville

So, I just have to ask. What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book??

Mine's gotta be One Fish Two Fish. I can remember being excited about learning to read that book in first grade. It must be the one I drove my parents crazy with, toting it around all the time and begging them to listen to me read. I fell in love with the magical poetry of:

My hat is old
my teeth are gold
I have a bird
I like to hold
my shoe is off
my foot is cold

Buster loved Hop on Pop in first grade; Fox in Sox is the one he drove me crazy with... always asking me to read it as fast as possible until I was spitting and tripping over my tongue. Why is it that I can remember so much of these books by heart? Must be that Geisel tapped into the soul of the English language and wrestled our archetypes into children's rhymes.

You know, of course, that Friday is March 2. Theodor S. Geisel's birthday (he's Dr. Seuss). And it's Read Across America Day celebrating the 50th birthday of The Cat in the Hat. Go send them a birthday card and help put more books into kid's hands.

And please, for the love of Pete, plan to read some Dr. Seuss books with a child or two! Leave me a comment with a quote from your favorite book. No peeking now, just from memory....

Links:

Happy Birthday to the Cat in the Hat
Geek take off on One Fish Two Fish
Ted Geisel Biography
Sculpture Garden
Grinch song links
Seuss Parody Page - Spam-I-Am, If a Packet Hits a Pocket, Dr Seuss Meets Star Trek, all the good ones are here (not all G-rated).
Who's Who and What's What in the World of Dr. Seuss from Dartmouth (his Alma mater)
Teacher Stuff

12 comments:

katd said...

What a fun post! I LOVE these lines from "The Lorax":
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

I know that's not silly and funny, but it has always stood out to me. I can't wait to read others' lines!

HipWriterMama said...

This is great. My favorite book is "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" Love it. "You have brains in your head, You have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose."

IMC Guy said...

Horton Hatches the Egg is up there on my list! I feel so sorry for the elephant when I see him on the egg freezing his little tail off!

I guess it's almost time to dust off my Read Across America shirt I wear once a year! Have fun with this exciting day!

IMC Guy said...

I forgot one more that I read to all my kids 2 months ago - The Grinch That Stole Christmas! From the kindergarten students to the sixth graders, I read that story about 15 times in one week.

Then, I took it home and read it to my own children.

sster said...

Well, today it's "Hands, Hands, Fingers, Thumbs" because I just saw a documentary on hamboning.

http://www.linktv.org/programming/programDescription.php4?code=hambone

dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum!

MotherReader said...

I can quote whole sections of "Horton Hears a Who" since my kids and I have been listening to Seussical in the car, so that would be cheating. The one that always pops into my head at odd times is this one from The Cat in The Hat Comes Back.

Somebody, SOMEBODY
Has to, you see.
Then she picked out two Somebodies.
Sally and me.

web said...

Hello Jack! Hello Jake! Shake hands shake hands shake shake shake!

My son says his favorite line is the picture of the pipes in The Lorax. :-)

web said...

Aw shoot - Hands Hands Fingers Thumbs isn't Dr Seuss, it's Al Perkins.

cloudscome said...

LOL Web that's OK. I love that one too. I remember a kindergartener I taught a long time ago that was so delighted with that book. I can see her dancing around the room and hear her chanting it still...

And I forgot all about Green Eggs and Ham, which Buster had me read about 1O million times.

Sam, if you will let me be
I will try them -
you will see....

Andrea said...

I was going to do Green Eggs and Ham too, and was surprised no one mentioned it until you did in the last comment!

Audrey and I like to make up new verses to go with it:

I do not like them on a lake
I do not like them in a cake
I will not eat them up or down
I will not eat them with a clown
I do not like green eggs and ham
I do not like them, Sam-I-am!

Going Back to Square One said...

My favorite is The First of Octember...which is actually pretty hard to find! I still have the one my mother gave me for my seventh birthday. :-)

Janet said...

They trembled, they shook -- but they came! They obeyed!
From all over the pond, they came swimming by dozens --
Whole families of turtles, with uncles and cousins.

...

Then Yertle, the sultan of Salamasond,
Toppled right off his perch and fell, Plunk! in the pond.

-- Yertle the Turtle

(I may have those last lines wrong)

---

I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.
An elephant's faithful, one-hundred percent.

-- Horton Hatches an Egg

---

I can't remember lines from it, but I was also fond of Thidwick, the Big-Hearted Moose.

Though I didn't admit to being fond of any of the books. I didn't happen on Seuss until I was in about second or third grade, and my little brother wanted to hear them over and over. I, of course, was too mature for such baby books.

I was finally able to stop being embarrassed that I still loved kids' books when I wound up in a college dorm unit full of people like me.