Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Video Booking Kidstyle

I have thought about online storytelling a lot, wondering how that is going to develop. Clearly my young sons will spend quantities of time on the web. By the time they get old enough to demand a video game players everything will be wirelessly connected... What will kids' books look like on the web? Jean Gralley wrote about her take on it in Liftoff: When Books Leave the Page in the Horn Book online recently. I would like to be part of this. I saw these links at Read Roger today and I am intrigued. What do you think?

3 comments:

joy said...

Thank you for posting about this! I think it's exciting and I'd also love to be part of this.

I am a storyteller and wonder about being able to have audio and tell my story. I'd be for a different purpose, than the reading video books, but it'd be cool too.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how long the video-book creations would be "place-holders"
before we started to make video-books with long-lasting appeal. I'm a big fan of having all sorts of options. The parts of the demo that rankled me were the the implications that paper-books were soooo limited (flat, static,etc.) and video-books were way better as options. I know that's marketing, but I think that the video-book will have to exist as a genre in its own right, and not as a replacement for paper books.

One of the things I've enjoyed about blogging is the ability to use hypertext in place of footnotes. If there is a word or concept I want to use but don't want to alienate readers with unfamiliarity, hypertext is the way I go.

cloudscome said...

Yes I love linking as a way of extending the text too. I think it has changed the way I think while I am writing actually. My mind points to the links nonverbally or in some new way I can't describe. And I have had to learn a new way of reading, following links and navigating back to follow the thought train without getting lost, from reading online. That is what is so exciting to think of what storytelling can be like in the dimensions of cyberspace. I love the idea of going IN to the story...