Saturday, December 16, 2006

Richard Wright and Haiku

Yesterday I wasn't on the computer at all. I stayed home sick because I and the baby have terrible colds. I decided not to even try to get anything done. I did knit and make sock dolls while the baby slept, which I will post on later. But I missed Poetry Friday completely. Checking technorati today I found someone was searching for "African American Christmas haiku" and found my blog. I was delighted to find a link to another amazing site in the same search list. It's Richard Wright's haiku! Who knew he loved haiku and wrote thousands of them in his last years of life? They are beautiful too - real haiku with sharp images of particular moments of life, referencing nature and human interactions with the natural world. Here is one of my favorites:

Keep straight down this block,
Then turn right where you will find
A peach tree blooming.

Check out this site for three articles discussing Wright's haiku and many, many examples of his beautiful poetry. Here is another review. Now I have a new book at the top of my Christmas wish list: "Haiku: This Other World", by Richard Wright, Arcade Publishing, 1998. Pretty please Santa!

tags:


1 comment:

Joy said...

I really appreciate all of your poems- the ones you write and the authors you share. Thanks!