Thursday, December 07, 2006

December 7 Haibun

moonset with tree 2

moon a flake of ice
sinking into day's blue sky -
the bare trees reach up

The other day when we were driving home we took the short cut through the high school campus. We drove around the football field and up the hill. I looked over my shoulder when I stopped at the intersection and there was the moon - huge and pale red, floating over the distant hills as it rose. It was breath-taking. Of course I didn't have my camera.

The next morning when I got to work, as I turned into the parking lot I got a sweeping view across the fields. Hanging just above the trees in the deep blue sky was the moon, huge and white as ice as it set. Breath-taking. I didn't have my camera.

So yesterday I brought my camera with me. I stalked the moon. I took several good shots but none were as dazzling as the ones I missed. I kept walking out in the frosty air across the frozen grass, waiting for the moon to get huge and hang in that spot right over the trees. My colleagues must think I am nuts.

Ice in the sky -
the moon a brilliant white blaze.
Each blade of grass; iced!

leaf in grass with frost


Anonymous said...

I always see the best stuff when I am not carrying my camera too! The shots you posted were very nice just the same though.

Wild about Doll Houses

Rachel said...

Oh, I love the leaf photo!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're nuts, I think you have an amazing eye. I love the photo of the moon, absolutely lovely!

MaeDay said...

Gee whiz, if my best photos were as good as your rejects, I'd be dancing a jig! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I know the feeling of having missed a great photo. My camera's battery needs to be replaced, so I haven't even been thinking about how many photos I have missed in the past month or so...