Tuesday, December 19, 2006

December 19 Haiku

trike and tree.JPG

trike just stopped; he watched
a tree branch crash in his path
green leaves all trembling.

Buddy Boy was riding his tricycle on the patio on day last July when a freak wind gust brought a huge tree limb down directly in his path. He stopped a few short feet from where it landed. I think he heard the wind and the crack of the tree and looked up and saw it coming down on him. I looked out the kitchen window and saw the branches settle around him, leaves still trembling. I dashed outside as he jumped up and ran in. I scooped him up in my arms and we just stood there shaking until we heard another branch crack. We ran inside. Thank God he was safe.

The prompt at One Deep Breath this week is storm haiku. This is one storm we will never forget! Go here for more storm haiku. Click the picture to see a slideshow at Flickr.

tags:


9 comments:

Veronica Mitchell said...

Very scary. We have an aged maple in our front yard that keeps losing branches, and I am afraid of something similar happening here.

Anonymous said...

so glad he is safe! the haiku tells the story (and emotions) so well but i'm sure glad you elaborated to include the sigh-of-relief ending.

Neasa said...

How scary for you both! I got a fright from the imagery the haiku evoked before I read the rest of the post. Well done!

Tammy said...

WOW! Thank God he's safe! That photo looks like the tree is frightened of the trike but after reading your haiku and story it told the real story. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm so glad things turned out well.

Nancy Bea said...

Wow, great shot and poem and I am glad it ended OK. The trembling of the leaves is an excellent metaphor. I had a similar experience as a child, except it was a whole tree that came crashing down....a never to be forgotten moment!

Don Tate II said...

Thank God he was safe. Makes my heart jump thinking about it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

How scary that must have been! So glad he was safe!

Sandy said...

Wow! A very descriptive haiku, and a good photo to go with it. Glad he is okay, that is a large limb!