Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

GF bread.JPG

Lori at Third Culture Kid has this meme up for Thanksgiving:

Ten Shallow Things I am Grateful for:

1. Gluten Free bread
2. GF pasta
3. GF muffins
4. GF coffee cake
5. GF chocolate cake
6. GF chocolate chip cookies
7. GF green bean casserole made by my BIL
8. GF pie made by my brother
9. GF pizza made by me
10. GF pancakes with maple syrup

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease, an inherited autoimmune disease. The treatment is to give up all gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, barley and sometimes oats. It is absolutely amazing the positive changes in my life since I went on this diet. Unfortunately it means I had to say good bye forever to some of my favorite foods and restaurants. You wouldn't believe how many things have gluten in them: salad dressing, gravy, marinades on meats, sauces, flavorings, drinks, toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, makeup, medicines, vitamins... it goes on and on. I am still coming across things I realize I will live without forever - girl scout cookies. KFC. Whoppers. Even Chinese food, because soy sauce is sometimes made with wheat. The good news is I have spent the last three years getting healthier and feeling much better than I ever have in my life. I have learned to cook a whole new way, and I can have all the things on my list on a regular basis. I am so thankful for that! I am cooking the Thanksgiving feast today for my family because I did the research and shopping to find a GF turkey (they sometimes have flavorings injected that contain gluten) and am making everything else GF except the stuffing (which I don’t like) and the rolls, which I can live without. This is the first year I have had the courage to try to learn to make pie with GF crust. I am trying a cherry today, made with rice flour. Wish me luck… it might not turn out.

Ten More Significant Things I am Grateful for:

1. Knowing God’s love – the author and finisher, the strength and hope of my life.
2. My darling, loveable, amazing and wonderful boys
3. My job; a job I love that gives me time with kids, books, and computers while at the same time pays me, gives me good hours, benefits, sick days and lots of vacation. Thank you Jesus!
4. My parents; the most wonderful parents I have ever seen or heard of.
5. My brothers and sisters. I have a great family.
6. My friends, also wonderful.
7. My house. I love this little old house. I love the yard, the porch, the sunroom, the garden, the sweet little rooms, the walls I painted my favorite colors, the attic, the laundry in the basement, the dishwasher, the woodwork….
8. The Internet – blogs, writing, photography, poetry, new friendships, all I am learning from other moms and bloggers and librarians…
9. My creative abilities – mind, spirit, eyes, voice & hands that love to arrange, form, create & apply ideas, words, color and shape into something new and beautiful…
10. All kinds of music: Black Gospel, Jazz, Classical, old Rock, Reggae...

Your turn now. What are you thankful for this Thankgiving?

tags:

1 comment:

mia said...

I am thankful for the journey.

I hope you had a spectacular Thanksgiving!