Thursday, October 05, 2006

Zoned Out Reading

Buddy Boy is facinated with the book Danny and the Dinosaur by Sid Hoff. I have had to read it three nights running. I think he loved the idea of a friendly dinosaur (cool! and BIG!). He always asks about where Danny's mother is at the end of the book when Danny walks home alone. Approaching his house he looks much bigger than the house, as it is in the distance, and there is no visable mother. I told him she is inside cooking dinner but he wonders why Danny went out alone, without her.

Tonight while reading aloud to him I realized that I didn't remember the whole section from page 22, where they start walking down the street, to page 33, where they visit the zoo. I have absolutely no memory of reading those pages for the last three nights. I almost asked him if we had been skipping them, but I feel certain he would have said so if that were true because he would surely notice. I have been zoning out while reading! I have been thinking about what I want to do next, as soon as he is asleep. Put in another load of laundry, knit, read my book, or blog? That is what I am pondering while I am doing a pretty good job of reading with drama and excitement. It comes from having read this book a million times to Buster and to first graders over the last 20 years. I can do it while sleeping or day dreaming. I find that a little scary. What else do I do while I'm thinking of something else? It's like having black outs while reading. Yikes! Have you ever done that?

tags:

5 comments:

Veronica Mitchell said...

I do the same thing, though it doesn't scare me anymore. I consider it a handy skill. A little mental me time.

MotherReader said...

I drift in and out at times when I am reading to my kids. They catch me sometimes when I say the wrong word - like garbage for garage. Or their personal favorite, instead of "the royal peacock" I said "the royal penquin." They still laugh about that one.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Yes! The worst is when I'm actually doing a storytime after not having gotten proper sleep the night before.:(

tallulah said...

I am queen of zoning. I sometimes unintentionally skip entire pages or paragraphs until the kids call me on it.
Sigh....the life of a busy Mom so desperately trying to stay in the present, but not necessarily always succeeding.

cloudscome said...

It's so funny to hear that all of you do it too! I have done it for years but never talked about it to anyone. I thought it was my own little quirkiness that I could hide... LOL

This time I started wondering why I zoned out on the exact same page, and came back in the same spot three days in a row. In the story it is the page where the Dino goes past the bus stop and the grownups don't react to a dino... they think he's the bus and they hop on his tail. The picture of his tail slinking around the corner creeps me out a bit. All the time he is in traffic being helpful and interacting with grownups are the pages I zoned out on. When he got to the zoo and he was back with the kids I came back. Hmmmm....