Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Starting a List

It was suggested that I start a list of African American history, art, and literature that I am going to be reading and sharing with my sons. I like the idea and I will start here today. Looking over some of the books in my home this morning and last night, I found these anthologies:

The People Could Fly Virgina Hamilton - African American folktales.

African American Children's Stories; A Treasury of Tradition & Pride Publications International, Ltd. 2002. Folk tales, poetry, song, biographies.

Children of Promise ed. Charles Sullivan. Art, literature, poetry, song, historical and biographical sketches. I read about the Revolutionary heros Absolem Jones, Richard Allen and Peter Salem this morning.

In looking those books up I found this fantastic list of great books.

The above books were gifts given to my sons in the past three years. I haven't spent much time reading them yet because they seem a bit advanced for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. I do have many other picture books that I will add to my list in the next few days.

What books do you love that have African American history, art, folk tales, cultural themes or characters? I will continue to update this list over the next few weeks as titles come to my attention. I would appreciate all your recomendations with title, author and a brief description. Please leave a comment if you have books you would add.

No comments: