Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gossamer

Last night I dreamed I was getting married. I was trying on my wedding dress in front of the mirror and my mom was there. The dress was a brown flower print and I didn’t like it at all. We were talking about changing the neckline to make it prettier and I was very dissatisfied. I had thought the dress would be beautiful but the more I looked at it the uglier it got. I started thinking maybe I should cancel the wedding because I hated the dress. Did I really want to get attached to some man for the rest of my life? I couldn’t even remember what he looked like, actually. I told my mom I was going to cancel and at first she said “no you can’t” but then the more we talked about it she started to agree with me. At the end of the dream it was settled and I felt I could breathe again. It was such a relief to take off that dress and know I didn’t have to go through with it.

I started reading Lois Lowry’s new book Gossamer today. It is about little nighttime messengers that bring us dreams. Littlest One is a young thing learning the ways of the spirits that flit around the house at night gathering memories, scents, pieces of our lives so they can give them back to us in dreams. Littlest annoys the older spirit who is training her because she asks too many questions. She loves words too - she makes a tongue twister of the instructions... "flutter, flicker, and trickle; flutter, flicker and trickle". She reminds me of the little ones around my house.

I love Lowry and I am so happy to be at the beginning of a new book of hers. She is a blogger, too!

*Edited to add: I should never write about a book before I finish reading it. This one made me cry at my desk in the librarian's office today. There is so much more I could say, but it's time to rush off and pick up the kids... we have a Dr.s appointment and then a visit to the fire house for their annual open house of fire prevention week this evening. Anyone else read this book want to talk about it? It is just beautiful and heart wrenching, really. Sigh.

Technorati Tags:

6 comments:

tallulah said...

I'm not familiar with Gossamer but I may just have to pick that one up.

Tonight's book club. We read "Dancing at Rascal Fair" by Ivan Doig. Definitely not a fan.

Inkling said...

We did The Giver last year at school, and afterword I checked out ever Lowry book I could find and read them all. But I didn't know she had a new one out. I'll look for it.

My oldest is thrilled about the appearance of The End tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this tip, this is an author that neither my kids nor I have read.

cloudscome said...

Oh you all really have to read this book. It is fantastic!! Thirdmom you really really must read Lowry!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog while your reading mine! I love Lois Lowry, especially The Giver, and will have to pick up this book. May I link my blog to yours?

Anonymous said...

Im a person who doesnt like to read to much but when i started reading this book i was so attached at the end it was so good what a wonderful book! I definetaly recomend it!!