Wednesday, September 20, 2006

How are these things related?

A Meme from Lilian:

The instructions are:
Grab the book closest to you
Open to page 123-Scroll down to the 5th sentence
Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog
Name of the book and the author
Tag 3 people

The book sitting on my desk is the one I just got in InterLibrary Loan yesterday: Primal Wound by Nancy Newton Verrier. I didn't get to start reading last night, but here is what I found on page 123:

Remember that birracial children, especially blackk/white, frequently consider themselves and are considered by our society to be black. They will often identify more with the black culture than with the white culture and need the opportunity to do that. White couples who have no black friends should think twice about adopting a black or biracial child. At all ages parents must tell the truth about adoption and deal with reality.

On my fridge I have a quote from the priest at my old church, from a sermon of hers about a year ago:

Carry the burden of what is real, not of what is imagined.

And on the front page of yesterday's paper, a picture of the real person behind Elmo. We love Elmo. How charming to discover Elmo's inner brother!

Zoe, Brooke, and Heidi - TAGGED YA!

Technorati Tags: , ,


tallulah said...

I saw an interview with the man who does the voice of Elmo. Isn't that awesome!

I haven't been tagged but here it is....

Florida wasn't grimy or industrial or hidebound or ingrown. It wasn't seared and dry like the desert-it was luscious and fruitful. It felt new and it looked new, with all its newly minted land and all the billboards pointing to new developments and the bright new sand that had been dredged up and added to the beach.

The Orchid Thief
by Susan Orlean

I love the quote about burden. I'm writing that one down.

Heidi Durrow said...

thanks for the tag! --and also for the exercise. Nella Larsen's Quicksand is on my desk--as I am currently obsessing about her!--p. 123: "Why couldn't she have two lives, or why couldn't she be satisfied in one place? Now that she was actually off, she felt heavy at heart. Already she looked back with infinite regret at the two years in the country which had given her so much of pride, of happiness, of wealth, and of beauty."

cloudscome said...

Ooh I want to read both of those now! What a fun meme.

Andrea said...

Elmo's inner brother! I love it!

(I'm hopping back in after three weeks without internet connection, so I'm catching up!).

Even though I do think most people see Audrey more as Chinese than white (except other Chinese people...with them it's the opposite), I'm not so sure that's how she sees herself. I don't want to overstress the Chinese part, but I so want her to understand that her life experience will be richer if she can embrace both her Anglo and Chinese heritage.