Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lifelong Learning, Oh Yeah!

I woke up early this morning to try and catch up on reading blogs. It seems not too many others post early on Sunday morning, so I quickly got caught up and went looking for new blogs. Following links I found one that reviewed new features on Library Thing. I had looked at LT a few months ago but didn’t follow up because it looked like too much work for me to catalog all the books in my house. I like to browse around when I am looking for something, and find it by location memory so I didn’t think I needed an online catalog. Today I realized me finding my own books is not the point. You get to meet and talk with other people about your books. LIGHTBULB!! Why did it take me so long to figure that out? Just too egocentric I guess. Anyway LT is getting better by the minute and I am loving it.

I signed up just to take the tour. I added two books so I would have a library there, and THREE hours later I am still finding features to love. It is so easy to add books I can’t stop myself! The kids’ breakfast is stretching way too long just to keep me on the keyboard. LOL It is incredibly easy to add your books. Just type in a few keywords or authors name and a list comes up. Click on the book you have, add tags or rating, and it is in your library list. For a librarian with ADHD and dyslexia, making it this easy closes the deal. I decided to only add the books I currently have that I want to discuss with someone else that has read them.

Once you have books in your library you can look at lists of all the other members who have the same books as you, or what they have that you don’t have. If you see a book you actually do have, one click and it is in your list. You can look at a word cloud of tags or authors for your own library or the library of other members. You can join a group of other folks interested in the same themes as you. There are discussion boards there so you can see what everyone is saying about what you are thinking. There are lots of bloggers there! I am telling you this is my new favorite place.

One of the members who has a blog posted about Learning 2.0, an online learning experience run by a library in Charlotte NC. Anyone can join in and I have signed up. Through a guided series of experiences you can explore 23 developments in technology. We are encouraged to blog about what we are learning, so I will be posting on my experimentation in the next few months. I am also looking at the 43 things website, which looks very exciting. This is helping me to see how much I have already learned this summer, just by playing around with blogging. They didn’t need to sell me on lifelong learning, this stuff always gives me a rush. How about you?

4 comments:

Inkling said...

That is one great idea. I must visit. Thanks for the link!

christina said...

What a neat idea...I'll have to check it out!

Lesley said...

Glad to see you joined the Learning 2.0 challenge - I think it will be a lot of fun!

Sherry said...

Love LibraryThing. iI haven't really checked out all the social features, though, I'm afraid I'd spend as much time on that as I do blogging.