Thursday, August 17, 2006

Garden Fruit

A few years ago one of my friends from my book club gave me a small fig tree from her yard. She has had a large fig tree producing for years and her whole family enjoys the delicious treats she makes from its fruit. I didn't expect this seedling to live or thrive in my yard, but I put it in the only free sunny spot and gave it a chance. This year is the first good crop we have had. Buddy Boy loves them and plucks one off the small tree every chance he gets, green and hard or red and soft and ripe, he doesn't seem to care. I am going to have to start collecting them and look up some recipes. Any suggestions? I used to love Fig Newtons, back before I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue and learned I can't eat anything with wheat, rye or barley. I am really looking forward to trying to make my own fig bars with rice or bean flours. I think they will taste better mixed with a little honey and baked, rather than fresh off the tree, in spite of what Buddy Boy thinks. It's nice to have something right from the garden, though, isn't it?


Repressed Librarian said...

Delightful! I hope you find some good fig recipes (I don't know any, or I would certainly share).

Andrea said...

One of the houses we looked at (and almost got) had a peach tree in the back yard. A peach tree. In Indiana. Since the house was vacant and no one would miss one, Leo swiped one off the tree to sample. It was perfect. I may be planting a peach tree in our new yard now that I know it's possible in this climate.

iveyfamily said...

My mom has celiac spru too and found this great site to help with recipes and stuff .... it is


Lilian said...

Yum! I love figs, they look beautiful!

Don Tate II said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. You know, I have never had a fig. Someone brought in a big bag at work, but I wasn't brave enough to try something new, but those pictures look so good, I may need to give a fig a try.

Library Lady said...

My husband and I planted a fig tree in '98 and the poor thing looked worse than a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. It was a pitiful five-inch stalk with one leaf. Ever year I would talk sweet to it, tell it how wonderful its fat leaves and fruit were going to be.

After five years of encouragement, I accidentally ran over it with the mower! :-P

Wouldn't you know, the next spring it shot up, knee high, with six leaves!

Three years later, it is ten feet in the air with lovely, limited fruit. :)