Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Book Meme

Repressed Librarian tagged me for this popular meme a few days ago. It is very difficult to narrow it down to just one book for each question. If I did it again tomorrow I would probably chose different books, but here it is. I notice most of these are written by women. About 20 years ago I decided to try to focus on reading mostly women writers for the next 25 years, since I had spent the first 25 years of my life reading mostly men. It's given me some balance.

1. One book that changed your life?

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. I read this at about 12 years old and it changed my world completely.

2. One book you have read more than once?

The Hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien. Can’t help myself, I’ve read it a million times. There are a lot of books I could mention here; I like to re-read favorites.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

The Bible. Everything is in there: poetry, myth, history, wisdom, story, song, prayer, life & hope.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Traveling Mercies Anne Lamott. Especially the “Knocking On Heaven’s Door” chapter, which I heard her read on NPR. It kills me every time.

5. One book that made you cry?

The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver

6. One book you wish had been written?

Green Baby Butts: Cloth Diapering for the 21st Century

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Fast Track Adoption by Susan Burns This book is evil and has caused a lot of damage.

8. One book you are currently reading?

In their Own Words; Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories Rita J. Simon and Rhonda M. Roorda. I have been in the middle of this one for a long time. I have to take it slow to absorb as much as possible.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

The Secret Life of Bees Sue Kid Monk. I know, I should have read that years ago. I can’t keep up!

10. Now tag five people:

Kohana Amy Kim.Kim Lilian Joshua (Welcome aboard Joshua! I can't wait to hear what you have to say!) I hope you all can participate in this. I know it's hard to find the time to blog in August but I'd love to see what you come up with! Anyone else I didn't link, jump right in!


Andrea said...

Yes, you must read The Secret Life of Bees. And if you like it go directly to The Mermaid Chair, although it seemed a different kind of story to me. The first one had more humor; Mermaid Chair was far more serious in tone. But still very good

Repressed Librarian said...

#6 made me laugh, but it's a great idea. Maybe you'll be the one to write it!

And I agree with Andrea about the Sue Monk Kidd books. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite books ever, and The Mermaid Chair is excellent.

Lilian said...

Oh, thanks for tagging me! I think I'll enjoy this meme, though it may take me a little while to respond.

Melissa said...

#8 - excellent book. Unfortunately I had borrowed it from a friend and had to return it. Now it's on my list of books to buy so I can read it again (and again, and again).

KarenEileen said...

THis has nothing to do withyour most recent post, but I thought I would say hello. I was reading another blog and they had a link to yours. I am also a children's librarian, I also have a child going to college in a few days, and adoption has touched my life, as I was adopted as a baby.
I read constantly - books, magazines, cereal boxes, blogs, anything! - and will enjoy reading your blog.