Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Penny Wise

So. I have been worrying about finances a lot lately. In September I will have three tuitions: two in daycare and one in college. If money is tight now, and it is, how am I going to make it to next summer? That is the panic I am having in the middle of the night. I have cut back on everything I can think of. No cell phone. No Cable. No trips for vacation this summer. No pool membership. No eating out. Not even movie and pizza nights. Sheesh it's like I'm poor or something. And still I run out of money before payday! What is up with that? I thought summer would be living easy, since there is no daycare bill, and I thought I could afford to play SAHM and not get another job. But then the car broke down, a tree fell on my roof, and something else happened to my credit card that I can't remember..... so.

So I thought I would try selling online. All that stuff up in my attic, somebody must want it don't ya think? Most of what I buy is second hand anyway, and we use it to death, so it is not going to sell, is it? I heard about a guy who sold every single last thing in his apartment and made enough money to move to California. Even the old newspapers sold. I can sell some baby clothes and old LP records, I figure.

The problem is, when I look around for something I think will go for a lot, it is usually something I just bought for the baby's birthday or something. All our nicest stuff is the stuff they haven't grown into yet. Or the nice stuff that Buddy has outgrown but I was going to save for Punkin. I have to keep chanting to myself... "Don't sell what will cost more to replace when we need it again." Can I sell their toys right out from under them? That would be silly, right?

I listed my old Rolling Stones and Dire Straits albums, since I haven't had a record player in 20 years. Aren't they collector's items now? But they only list for $1.99 to start! How is that going to help me? Maybe I can sell my bread machine. It didn't go at the yard sale, but you never know....

Help me out here. How do you make it work?

4 comments:

sheri said...

UMMM, I know you may not want to do this, but you have a great talent that could easily turn into a side career. Your quilting! Homemade items sell like crazy from what I hear! I've never tried it but other's I know make a killing on stuff they made themselves.

Third Mom said...

Do NOT sell your Dire Straits albums!!! Those you need to keep.

cmhl said...

I second what Sheri said-- homemade things realllllly sell. just keep close track of your investment.

also, I have bought things on clearance before (like from slickdeals.net) and then sold them on ebay. if you can get a great deal, you can make money. like I found a deal on cameras for about $99, and they would sell for about $200. it was the same product, so I could use the same template every time..

cloudscome said...

Crouching Mommy, you are amazing! I don't think I could pull that off. I have thought about trying to sell baby sweaters and layettes. I don't think they get much on ebay, but if I can find a nice little boutique in a rich neighborhood I could make something.

But a teacher friend today told me I should do some tutoring after school this year. It's the best money for an easy hour's work. Handmade quilted and knit things take a lot of time for the amount of money you make, so I prefer to just do that for gifts. It is a really special gift and the materials are not expensive...

But gas money will be coming from tutoring I think!