Sunday, July 09, 2006

Jumping in to new stuff...


echinacea
Originally uploaded by cloudscome.
I am trying a few new things this weekend. I started using blogroll for my list of links, instead of putting in the html code myself whenever I add a new blog. Makes sense. Why did it take me so long? I guess I needed to learn how to do it the hard way first.

I also started an account on flickr, to share my garden photos. I think I am going to like this a lot! I always love to see everyone else's Flickr badge on their blog, but I didn't have the nerve to try it myself until today. So what do you think about putting all your pictures out there for the whole world? You don't get nervous about having your kids' faces plastered all over the place? I guess I have been too stiff and starchy and anxious. It seems everyone's doing it...

I would really love to hear some comments from you about what you find are the pros and cons of using blogroll and flickr. Any tips? Anything you were disappointed with? Help me out here! I thought I was doing good and the preview showed my flickr badge on my blog, but when I republish it is not there. Tried it three times. Maybe it will be here tomorrow....

6 comments:

Repressed Librarian said...

The badge is working now, and it looks great!

I have had a good experience with flickr so far. My only comment is to be aware that you have a file size limit for how much you can upload per month with the free account, and it's not that big. I exceeded mine right away, so I paid the $20 to upgrade for a year.

(P.S. I think I'm going to have some flower photos to share with you on Thursday.)

cloudscome said...

Thanks Lilian, for the tip! I am looking forward to your flower photos.

I wanted to add something about the blogroll. Is there anyone reading who wants to be added to my list? Anyone want off? Any changes in your name? Please leave a comment and let me know! I am going to try to keep it up to date.

Overwhelmed! said...

I still link other blogs to mine the old fashioned way, which is why my links rarely change.

I haven't posted photos on Flikr because I'm very protective of my child's photo's being on the Internet. I have shared a select few on my blog, but not many.

Marie Jarrell said...

I ADORE your garden photos. Just yummy .There is no place I'd rather be than among plants. They are so healing and make no demands. I like Flickr. I'm just too cheap to upgrade. For now I keep exceeding my limit.

cloudscome said...

Yes, Overwhelmed, I go back and forth from being protective of my kids' pictures and wanting to share so I put them up, take them down. Put them up, take them down. It's crazy.

Marie,how do I find your pictures on Flikr? And has anyone ever ordered prints from them? When I uploaded I reduced the file size so I don't think prints would look good. What do you think?

Lilian said...

Let's see, I started using flikr because I think the badge is pretty, but it took my a while to notice that only 200 pictures are visible at any given time, even if you use each month's alloted space. I have all my photos in another site called multiply which used to have a 150 photos per month limit, but doesn't anymore - I can give you the link if you want to see them :)

Anyway, I initially didn't upload any of our family pictures to flikr, just nature ones, then I did upload some, but I think I may take them off... right now my flikr badge is pretty useless because I haven't been updating anymore after I found out about the limit. I thought about paying the yearly 24 dollars, but we're just where you are now financially so, there you go... :)

I still add links manually in my blogroll. I like to categorize things, and I can only do it if I add them manually in the blog template. I want to become more comfortable with html anywaym so I don't mind doing it.