Monday, July 24, 2006

God our Mother

Today's Bible reading is from Hosea chapter 11, verses 3 & 4. God says:

"I was the one who taught Israel to walk. I took my people up in my arms... I drew them to me with affection and love. I picked them up and held them to my cheek; I bent down to them and fed them."
I find this especially touching these days, to hear God describe herself as a mother enjoying the same tasks I am caught up in with Punkin. Seeing those first wobbly steps, hearing the babbles and listening for familiar words, choosing the best ripe cherries and digging out the pits to pop that sweetness in his mouth, smothering those velvet cheeks with kisses. God knows this joy, and finds it in us. Unbelievable. Hallelujah.

2 comments:

Third Mom said...

You have made my day :) Love the image I now have in my head - and love the picture of Punkin. Cute cute cute!! How I miss the days when the kids were little - but now, looking at these two amazing young people, I guess I wouldn't change a minute of it. But oh, it has flown by.

Andrea said...

He is *precious*! Those first steps are so sweet :)