Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Few of my Favorite Books

I have been trying to post this since Sunday, but blogger was having difficulties with IE, apparently. Now I am using Firefox and it seems to be working better.

Susan asked me for pictures of some of my favorite children's books, so I have been thinking about that. I will have to just do some of the ones I haven't yet talked about, because several of my favorites I have already blogged about, and I don't want to repeat myself. So I have chosen some that I really love reading to my sons, and that are here on my own shelves and not at the library.

First of all has to be Winnie the Pooh. The real one, having nothing to do with Disney. Run from Disney. I can still hear my dad trying to read the heffalump story and bursting out into breathless laugher such that he would have to stop reading. It was one of our favorite things to do with dad; beg him to read Winnie the Pooh so we could see him helpless with laughter.

And then of course there is Beatrix Potter and the Tale of Peter Rabbit, et al. I can hear my mom's voice reading those, especially when Mrs. Rabbit tells them to run along and don't get into mischief. I love the illustrations too. I just wish they weren't so small; it makes it difficult to read these lovely stories to a group of children sitting on the rug in front of you.

Eric Carle is one of my favorite authors. I love all his books and I love his illustrations. I always spend several weeks reading them to my kindergaren classes. They do very well discussing what they notice about his style of illustration and writing.

Whiffle Squeek by Caron Lee Cohen and illustrated by Ted Rand is a favorite that I discovered with Buster when he was little.

There was a cat sailed the Briny deep,

briny deep, briny deep.

There was a cat sailed the briny deep

and his name was Whiffle Squeek.

The music of those words has infected us all and Buddy Boy sometimes makes up songs with the same rhythm. The illustrations are captivating as well.

A book that I am not sure is still around is Sam by Ann Herbert Scott, illustrated by Symeon Shimin. Sam is the youngest child in the family, and when he wants to play everyone is too busy. He finally gets their attention and they show how much they love him. I got this book as a library discard. The pictures are so beautiful I couldn't bear discarding it, but it doesn't have the eye candy appeal of our newer books so it wasn't circulating. It is a gem, regardless. Here is my favorite page.

How about some of your favorites? Post about it, show us a picture, give me a link to your post, or just tell me about it in the comments here. I love to hear about your favorite books!


Overwhelmed! said...

Eric Carle is one of my favorite authors as well. And Snuggle Bug loves Sandra Boyton, especially her "Moo, Ba, La La La" book. Snuggle Bug refers to it as "La La" and he's always asking for it.

Another one of my favorites is called "Love You Forever" by Robert Munch.

Lilian said...

YAY, I want to do a post like that too!!! I have to write that down somewhere so I don't forget it... :)

I love Eric Carle too. I think you'd enjoy my Brazilian children's books. I have to invite you over someday so you can see them. Will you remind me of that?