Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Deadly Nightshade

Belladonna, or Deadly Nightshade grows all along the edge of the playground and on the fence at the back of my garden. It always reminds me of the time when Buster was a toddler and the neighbor’s girls put together a tea party with the lovely red and purple berries. Their mother made a few frantic calls to poison control before we knew they were going to be OK, so I always rip it out as soon as I see it. It also reminds me of these haiku by Issa (Japanese poet; 1763 – 1828):

it's so pretty!
so pretty!
the poison mushroom

watch out kids!
don't let those red mushrooms
cast a spell

So I wrote my own haiku this morning:

Belladonna grows
tempting a child’s tea party –
purple, red dream drops…


jo(e) said...

I especially love the last line "purple, red dream drops." Nice.

Lovely photo too.

Andie D. said...

I haven't thought about haiku for a long time. I used to TRY to write my own, but I think I'm better off reading and appreciating. I'm always amazed by the kind of creativity it takes to write haiku.

Thank you!