Friday, May 26, 2006

Soul Looks Back in Wonder

From the book Soul Looks Back in Wonder; edited and illustrated by Tom Feelings:

To You

To sit and dream, to sit and read,
To sit and learn about the world
Outside our world of here and now -
Our problem world-
To dream of vast horizons of the soul
Through dreams made whole,
Unfettered, free - help me!
All you who are dreamers too,
Help me to make
Our world anew.
I reach out my dreams to you.
Langston Hughes

Who Can Be Born Black

can be born black
and not
the wonder of it
the joy
the challenge

And/to come together
in a coming togetherness
vibrating with the fires of pure knowing
reeling with power
ringing with the sound above sound
above sound
to explode/in the majesty of our oneness
our comingtogether
in a comingtogetherness

can be born
and not exult!

Mari Evans


Jenna said...

Can I ask a possibly inappropriate, potentially offensive question? If not, feel free to delete this.

Are your chilren fully AA or are they biracial of some sort?

Don't smack me.

cloudscome said...

LOL Why would I smack you? My two little boys are both African American. Buddy Boy has some Cuban blood too.