Friday, April 14, 2006

Portrait of the Artist

Buster is reading Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce for a term paper he has to write. He is taking AP (Advanced Placement) English in high school. In May they take an exam and if they score high enough some colleges will give credit for the course. All the kids are taking these courses now, which we didn’t have in my day. I read the book in college. I am having to sit on my hands and bite my lips to keep from jumping in and starting to do his research for him. Just imagine what resources there are on the Internet these days!!! It sets my English-major-librarian heart racing just bringing the subject up.

The other night at dinner we were enjoying a pretty grown-up conversation about his trip to Baltimore, and Buddy Boy wanted to have a turn as center of attention. So he started telling a fascinating, long drawn out story about what he did at his friend’s house, all imaginative and rambling and not making much sense, but very amusing. I looked over at Buster and he smiled and said “he’s so stream of consciousness”. I am going to miss him so much next year!

1 comment:

sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.