Saturday, April 15, 2006

A Book A Year Meme

Rather than doing 100 things about me, I decided to try listing a book for every year of my life. It might tell just about all you want to know about me! LOL So here's my meme:

List a book for each year of your life. It has to be one you read that was significant for you. When I mentioned one book I probably read as many others by the same author as I could find.

I was going to tag people to pass this on, but I hate the thought of all those groans echoing around cyberspace if I give you homework, so it’s extra credit. Take the challenge if it grabs you!

1. Dr Spock’s Baby and Child Care – my mother is a fanatic
2. The Westminster Shorter Catechism for Children – dad’s a pastor, OK?
3. Peter Rabbit – Beatrix Potter
4. Winnie the Pooh –A. A. Milne
5. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish - Dr. Seuss
6. The Bible
7. The Wizard of Oz – Frank L. Baum
8. On the Banks of Plum Creek – Laura Ingles Wilder
9. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe – C. S. Lewis
10. The Hobbit – J. R. R. Tolkien
11. Sing Down the Moon – Scott O’Dell
12. Dandelion Wine – Ray Bradbury
13. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret – Judy Blume
14. My Side of The Mountain – Jean Craighead George
15. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee – Dee Brown
16. A Wizard of Earthsea – Ursula K. Le Guin
17. Stranger in A Strange Land – Robert Heinlein
18. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek – Annie Dillard
19. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
20. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Persig
21. The Norton Anthology of English Liturature
22. The Narrow Road to the Deep North – Basho
23. The Chinese; Portrait of a People – John Fraser
24. The Mill on the Floss – George Elliot
25. Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster
26. Teacher – Silvia Ashton Warner
27. Your Baby and Child – Penelope Leach
28. Death at an Early Age – Jonathan Kozol
29. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
30. The Clan of the Cave Bear – Jean M. Auel
31. The Courage to Heal – Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
32. The Book of Common Prayer
33. The Joy Luck Club – Amy Tan
34. The Tao of Tai-Chi Chuan – Jou, Tsung Hwa
35. Macs for Dummies – David Pogue
36. The Essential Rumi – translations by Coleman Barks
37. Driven to Distraction – Edward M. Hallowell, M.D, and John J. Ratey, M.D.
38. You Mean Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo
39. Teaching Children to Care – Ruth Sidney Charney
40. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
41. omiyage – Kumiko Sudo
42. Lifting the White Veil – Jeff Hitchcock
43. Transracial Adoption – Gail Steinberg & Beth Hall
44. Debt Free Living – Mary Hunt
45. I’m Chocolate, You’re Vanilla – Marguerite A. Wright
46. What’s Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life – Lise Eliot, Ph.D.
47. The Wonder Weeks - Hetty Vanderijt, Ph.D., & Frans Plooij, Ph.D.

Edited to add: I have to admit I came back and changed a few. It is so hard to pick only one per year!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed on your list you have Lucy Shaw's , ' Sightseers into Pilgrims"....wonderful work.

One of Lucy's daughters and myself were good friends.....the "Shaws" are a lovely, talented, brilliant, artistic family!

MaeDay

cloudscome said...

I am afraid I had to change Luci Shaw's book to Ayn Rand's, because I spent most of that year reading all of Ayn Rand. But Luci Shaw was a big influence too. My Dad knows her and she let me send her some of my poetry to read... She was very encouraging to me, telling me to keep working on it. I love her poetry and she was the first "real" published poet to recognize me as a poet too.

cloudscome said...

Thanks for that comment MaeDay, because now I got to sneak two authors into that year! *chuckle - grin*

Anonymous said...

How terrific she was in encouraging your work!.(you're very talented too)

MaeDay

S.L. White said...

I love this! Voracious reader that I am... Thanks for sharing it-- I haven't tried a meme yet, but am fascinated by them. I'll let you know when I get mine up-- it may take a while as I have a few extra years to do! Do these have to be books you actually read in that year? (I didn't keep a good lifelist.)

Instead of a groan, I'll inflict a link you might enjoy in return: Why Blog?, my random enthusiasms for blogging.