Wednesday, March 29, 2006

indigo's star

I just finished indigo’s star by Hilary McKay. I love this book! It is delightful. It is about a 12 year old boy who is struggling with fear and bullies and friendship. There are undercurrents of loss and parental disappointment as well. His family is wacky and creative and fiercely loyal, but somewhat inattentive in an affectionate way. His sisters and various friends band together and somehow they find ways to address all the problems that come along. The dialogue is funny and quick, and the characters are beautifully drawn. It is the second book in a series about this family, the first being Saffy’s Angel, which I have yet to read.

As I read indigo I kept visioning the family being like Faux Claud’s family as she describes it in this post. (Now I just spent a long time trying to find that particular post, and I love the blog even more. I need to read way back in the archives! And of course I don't mean the inattentive part, which she obviously is not at all...) This was one of the first encounters I had with Faux Claud, and what made me fall in love with her blog. The type of family where you want to be one of the invited guests hanging around the kitchen and participating in the impromptu art projects and adventures. Full of craziness and chaos and love. Claud I would love to hear what you think if you read this book! Am I totally off the wall or what?


marlene said...

I love my library! The couple times in my life that I have moved to a new and unfamiliar town, I look for a couple things on the web before I commit to even seriously contemplating it. In the top three is always the public library!

My great aunt was a children's librarian, but was retired by the time I knew her, when I was 10-12. She used to get children's books in the mail to read and review. I thought/think that is just the coolest!

One of my - to do before you die- things is to run (and fund if possible) a Reading is Fundamental grant for foster children.

cloudscome said...

I would LOVE to sign up to get books in the mail to review. GREAT JOB!! That is one of my goals in life, to get there. Oh yeah, the library is just as good of course!! :)