Saturday, March 11, 2006

I love my Ben & Jerry's cook book

This is from the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream and Desert Book.

Strawberry Ice Cream:

Use the freshest strawberries possible for this ice cream.

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3-cup sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
Sweet cream base:
2 large eggs (I use EggBeaters)
¾ cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
Whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, and then continues whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

1. Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare the Sweet Cream Base. Mash the strawberries to a puree and stir into the cream base.
3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes generous 1 quart.

We made this the other day to take to my brother-in-law’s 50th birthday party tonight. It is really spectacular ice cream. Unfortunately, someone dropped it on the way to the freezer (no names, it could have been any one of us…) and the plastic container shattered. We had to put the whole mess down the disposal and then fish out the little plastic pieces that were clunking around in there. Rats!! So yesterday I had to make coffee and m&m ice cream to take to the party. It’s even better than the strawberry.

For his gift I made him a blog. I made a card to go with it, of course. He loves to cook so I was hoping he would start posting his recipes and kitchen adventures. Maybe he will not be interested though… dunno if he likes to write. He does like computers, I know that. I don’t know if it’s a good present or not. What would be a better present for a 50th birthday for a man who has everything else I can afford?

1 comment:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, your Ben & Jerry's cookbook sounds awesome!

I'm going to start posting a regular Friday recipe exchange thing this week. Stop by and take a look. I'd love it if you'd submit a recipe!